Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Colorado Vacation Part III: The Zoo!

On Sunday we went to what I now think is the world's coolest Zoo. It's called the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo and it's located ON the Mountain in Colorado Springs, CO. It was also another event we got to enjoy with Bella's awesome cousins Gabe and Paul and of course all of my fantastic In-Laws!

So what makes this Zoo so cool?? First off, you are literally hiking the Mountain to see the animals, so on one side is Mountain and the other is an incredible view of Colorado Springs. Plus the first thing you can do upon entering is feed the Giraffes! And it's true, the have REALLY long tongues. Usually they get crackers but a sign told us that they were essentially on a diet and we were able to purchase and feed them lettuce. If you ask Bella she'll tell you "We fed the Giraffes Salad, but they wanted crackers." They didn't really seem to mind the lettuce.






















































Eric and I have always been fans of sight seeing at Zoo's it was so fun to watch Bella really enjoy seeing all the animals. It was wonderful family time!









































The Meerkat's weren't nearly as impressed by my impression of them as my family was. I think it's pretty spot on.













And then we reached my favorite part! All the animals were fun to see of course, the snow leopard was very active, The monkeys were all taking a nap and they even had a porcupine which I have never seen up close. However, the best exhibit was the Budgie Buddies. It was an amazing aviary where hundreds of little birds flew around, visitors could walk inside purchase a Popsicle stick with honey and birdseed on it and feed the birds. They literally landed on your Shoulder!! One bird REALLY liked J.P. I was thrilled, and so was Bella!







































































Bella and Gabe had some great cousin bonding too! They played on the rocks and even shared ice cream.




























They even had all sorts of animals out and about for visitors to touch and learn about. Bella and I touched a snake!!!!! This led to Bella and Gabe's souvenirs, huge 3+ feet long snakes. Bella's is pink with green hearts all over it. She named it Sparky after the snake that lives under my Mother in Law's gutter drainy thing. ( Much to Connie's displeasure, the snake, not the souvenir). Sparky is even now lounging on our couch.


























Overall it was an excellent trip, I can't wait to make many more trips to the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo! 5 stars from the Neutebooms.

No comments: